I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

what is it???:-(

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Ollie's "mom" 
#1 ·
Hi all,
My poor Teddy keeps sitting down and drags his bottom on the floor. He has had is anal glands done 3 weeks ago and is fully wormed up to date. Could it be the anal glands again. Please help
x

#2 ·
Poor thing. It could be glands again but he could have something stuck there, Weller gets this occasionly, sorry to be graphic but it could be dried poo stuck to the hair around his bottom.
Or if he has had a bath recently it could be some unrinsed shampoo annoying him.

When is he due to be wormed again, if it is relatively soon then he could have picked up some worms at the tail end of his protection time, so may need doing just a bit earlier than expected. Does your wormer cover all types of worm as there are a few different types.
If you are still worried just pop him to your vet, they will put your mind at rest. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

#3 ·
agree with karen, could easily be the glands again- especially if he has had slightly soft poo recently? If you pop to the vets they can show you how to empty them at home (if you're brave enough!) so that you can do it if he ever has another problem.

#5 ·
Maggie had a prob with her anal glands on Xmas eve this year, she always chooses the best times to get sick! The vet emptied them, Maggie was not a fan! The vet said if she was dragging her bottom again she might need antibiotics but that whatever came out didn't look infected! Luckily Maggie hasnt done it again but maybe teddy needs a wee antibiotic to fix it. One tip the vet gave us was to put albran in her food for extra fibre to firm up her poo so she doesn't need her glands done so often. Emma x

#10 ·
Cara does this too. We've enough experience on anal glands from Zeus's issues so knew it was it that, fully wormed and nothing visible.

Turns out the little lady refuses to lick her bum (quite pleased considering the kisses she gives) Would rather wipe it, so appears the most tiny bit of poo hair. Quick bottom trim and a supply of pampers and we are good to go :)

#12 ·
Haha! Ruth, that exact thing has just happened with my little pup - I've only had him two days so I'm very much a learner. Hurried poo, dash inside to play/get warm..... well you've already described the rest! Yes, we had the bottom-dragging and I thought "Oh no, not already!" :eek: But I did wonder about the slightly mucky rear end and now my suspicions are confirmed. Isn't this forum great!
Trouble is, he wriggles so much it's difficult to get it properly clean for him. Any tips for a quick, easy bot clean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.