I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I don't understand what's happened and I am not sure what to do.

Recently, I posted on here about Pixel having accidents every night in her cage and tried to follow advice about looking at her routine. She had one dry night and I thought everything was ok but no she's back to having accidents. I try and remember to pick her water up after 7, however when my hubby is looking after her he forgets and it's down when I get home at 9.00pm. However, it doesn't seem to make any difference either way.

I take her out for the toilet just before she goes to bed but she doesn't go and just lies down in the garden so I put her in her cage thinking she doesn't need it but then she goes in her cage. This is even happening when my hubby puts her in her cage at 8.00am and I get home at 1.00am when she has gone longer than that before without an accident.

However, things have got much worse now. She seems to have got in the habit not only of going to the loo (wee) in her cage but also making a racket by stratching the door in the middle of the night. She woke us up at 3.30am this morning for the second night running which has not done since the first night we got her 7 weeks ago. She has towels down on the floor of her cage and it has a bottom which is moveable. She stratches at the door continuously and the whole cage rattles and the towels are bunched up in the corner when I let her out. She is very noisey. She seems to do this even when left for short periods when she hasn't done it before.

When I went down yesterday in the middle of the night, she raced out but wasn't that bothered about seeing me or going out for the toilet but raced into the kitchen to the cat's bowl and the cat's bed so I assumed it was because she had heard the cat, but the cat comes in most nights since we've got her and she hasn't done this.

The same thing happended this morning. I ignored her following my mum's advice but she carried on for ages and I didn't like the idea of her being distressed. However, again she didn't seem that bothered by me and although she went out into the garden it didn't seem like she needed the toilet. I put her back in and she had still had an accident when I let her out again at 6.50am.

It may be my fault as I have always rushed down in the morning when I have heard her stratching at the door as I was worried she was stressed or needed the loo. At first she could hardly hold her wee until I got her out in the garden but now she doesn't even seem that desperate for the toilet when I let her out. Now it seems like a behaviour thing. She also does this in her box in the car too but it doesn't seem to be because she wants to get out in that case, it seems to be when dust/bits are on the floor as she loves her car box and goes straight in it when I get it out. She stops doing it when I say no and goes to sleep.

I am not sure what to do as I don't want to be woken up at 3.30am every morning or have to carry on washing towels everyday. So I am keen for this to stop. I wondering if no towels would be better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, i should add. She doesn't do this when we put her in at night and had always gone straight to sleep. Also, this morning she stopped doing it as soon as she heard I was put even though it was another 20 mins before I actually let her out. I don't normally do this, I normally let her straight out but I wanted to see if she would it once she knew I was awake.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Just an idea...how big is her crate? how much room does she have at night?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am wondering whether she is confined in her cage too much? It is hard to work out from your post what your routine is. Do you both work so that she is at home alone most of the day? Is she getting walked enough and mentally stimulated often enough? How old is Pixel?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi. I really feel for you as we go through a similar thing with Daisy. We can get her in the crate fine at bedtime but my son woke up this morning at 4am shouting for me which in turn woke Daisy up and then that was it, she was off barking and whining. She also scratches at the corner of the crate and the whole thing shakes. She has even managed to burst out of hers! :eek: It is a rubbish crate! :rolleyes:

Anyway... What time do you put her to bed? I have the same issue with Daisy about laying on the grass. I pick her up, run around, throw a ball, anything to get her up however if that all fails I just put her in the crate for the night.

I always use the same command 'in your bed' and then whether I have to put her in or she goes by herself I always give her a high value reward such as chicken or sausage.

Is the cat disturbing her? Daisy desperately wants to play with our cat and barks and gets very excited when she sees him. I have had to shut cetain doors at night so that the cat can't walk passed Daisy's crate as I think this was one of the things that was unsettling her. When she is more sensible around the cat I will change it. :) Could you do anything similar?

I was getting up in the night when I heard Daisy. I would let her out without saying a word and then putting her straight back in her crate afterwards. This was when I was sleeping downstairs though. If I was you, I would ignore the noise, they shouldn't be waking up at this time really. I know the accidents are annoying but maybe they will stop after a few nights of ignoring?

I can only relate your descriptions to what we are going through but hope this might be a help in some way. :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I can't offer much advice, and certainly none better than previous posts - except for towels - have you thought of puppy pads? You can buy holders for them in pets at home to keep them in place, it'll save the washing at least :)
I would certainly try not to give in and get up to Pixel, it's really tough, but sometimes tough love is what you need :rolleyes:
I do hope things improve for you soon :hug:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, thanks for all the comments. It's just so strange as no problems with this before, she's normally my alarm clock for 7.00am!

I do wonder if part of the problem has been lack of routine. I am a teacher so have had the summer hols off work but have worked part-time so her routine has been very changeable. I've also been working 3 evenings a week and my hubby has her a night thoose days but I am there the other ones. But I haven't worked in the day for the last two weeks so she has had me alot. On non-work days she has a 45 min walk at lunch time and then my hubby gives her a walk in the evenings and she is put in her cage about 5.00 until he gets home about 8.00pm. On my work days she gets a 15 minute walk in the morning, let out at lunch by my hubby and a nice 45 minute walk when I get home at about 4.00pm. Recently, she has had a 45 minute walk in the day but I have found she does need two walks really so have started giving her a small one in the evening again.

I have taken her to work with me a few times in the evening. I start work again this week so we will be in a much better routine now and I finish working the three evenings.

Her cage is a medium one and is quite big so she doesn't have to lie on the wee when she does it. So it is bigger than it's meant to be. I think I will try and get her up and running around when I take her out for a wee just before bed like you suggested and see if that makes her go. Before, she just used to go practically on demand! I don't cover the cage as I have run out of towels!

I think the cat is distubing her but the cat is shut in the kitchen/outside and she is in another room with the door shut so they don't see each other. This has never been a problem before though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she's a clever girl though, that's why I think she knows what she's doing as isn't distressed and doesn't seem to need the toilet. I tried to do some training with her today. I put her in her crate and picked up her paws to stratch the towel and door like she does and said no several times. Then I closed the door and walked away. Everytime she started stratching I did the same thing, touching her paws everytime I said no. I did this several times and then just before I was actually going out properly to the supermarket. When I came back (after about half an hor) her towel was in place and there had been no stratching. I praised her and gave her a treat. Not sure if she'll remember this all night though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Cleo, with all you have described, maybe it would be an idea to go back to the beginning, treat tonight as night 1, and introduce the routine you would like. Sarah has had to train Daisy from scratch, at about 5 months, it took time and tears, but she has achieved so much. We're all here for moral support :hug:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
often if pups have the space to pee and not ie near it then they will do so maybe think about making the crate a little smaller so that she doesnt have the space to go....they don't want to mess up their den...so this might help...if you have a blanket covering her crate to make it dark helps to keep them asleep as it is darker.

Good luck with her...and this defiantly could be caused by the change in routine recently.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Is she now at the naughty teenage type phase? She is intelligent and maybe is getting bored for such long periods in her crate. At night she knows you are there and wants attention. Is there a place she could be safe and free during some of the day time whe n you are not there? The change in routine will also upset her and she will soon get back on track once the routine is re-established. Good luck, they go through very trying times these gorgeous little pooches!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, just an idea but I wondered if it had been very windy where you live as where I am in Essex it has been more windy and things have been blowing round the garden.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no scratching in the middle of the night last night so maybe one off, but an accident again when I came down in the morning, even though she had me all afternoon and night. Was fed at normal time and had no water after 7.00pm.

I think I will find something to put over the cage to keep it dark at night. I will try and find something to block some of her cage off-not sure what though as she likes to stred anything cardboard or eatable- what does everyone else use? We're thinking of buying her another cage for when my hubby takes her to work with him incase she needs some chill out time or wants a sleep when there so could get her a small one and have that as her night one. Or maybe it's just her bladder as every dog is different and she is so good in every other area.

Cara, I disagree with you it's because she's bored. She is not in her cage for long periods of time. I think she is probably in her cage a lot less than most dogs who's owners work as most people are not lucky enough to get home at 3.30-4.00pm like me or leave home as late in the morning as my hubby does. Someone comes home at lunchtime to let her out and she is played with and taken on lots of walks. She gets lots of attention/cuddles etc and has lots of toys to keep her occupied. My hubby takes her to work if I am going to be a little late getting home and I take her to work in the evening if my hubby is going to be late.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think you may be right about having no routine as they seem to like routine.

If you can get a more set routine I think this will help loads.

Also at night put a blanket or sheet over the back and sides of crate to make it more den like will hopefully help her settle through the night too. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Simple things.
She's growing up so her senses become more keen. Ie hearing the cat and smelling the cat.
Also scent, since she's started messing in her crate it smell like somewhere to mess. Strip down, vinegar spray and hose off the crate. Not just the towels.
She's got a routine that u nearly fell into " best go and sort her out she must need the loo". After 16 weeks or so the bladder muscles become stronger so if they wish they can start to hold for longer. Ie when u come down on a morning def don't let her out first. She's at a massive learning age and what happens now can get more difficult to un do.
So in short clean the lot, don't give up and restart daytime potty training.
If u can crate her post meals, 20 mins later out for a wee, with a command word, then pop her back in ten mins later out and I bet she'll poo then.
The aim being that she will potty on request, which is great at 11pm when we all just need to go to bed!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys, i am planning on putting a blanket over the cage tonight. Adam, I will try the not letting her out straight away routine and see how it goes. I did it the other day and she did stop stratching. Still a wee though, so think she must do that the minute she wakes up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, have you tried treats when she wees outside and praise? I have a big blanket over Blossoms cage and I cut a strong bit of cardboard to divide her cage to make it smaller - fits top to bottom and side to side so she cant get hold of it to chew it. If you think its a behavioural prob you could get a personal trainer round to help you out (Ive got one coming next wed for Blossom as she is growling outside - I hope he works!!) Good luck.xxx

1 - 20 of 38 Posts