I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Crate training was best advice. We had 4 dodgy nights of crying, then he fell in love with his crate, though after 4 nights I did introduce a warm hot water bottle with a soft, fluffy doggy cover and he snuggles up to every night, can't wait to go to bed :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have loads of great advice regarding training Daisy and some really bloomin dreadful advice aswell! The best though I think was to 'give her time'. It has been so true, yes we followed all the advice and we are working hard with her training, some worked, some didn't but with time she is doing wonderfully! :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
To let Lolly off the lead from the very first walk!
Haha, that was my best piece of advice too. :D

A very nice client of mine, told me the day before Millie was finally allowed out, to let her off the lead. Teach her recall straight away and teach her to keep an eye out for me too.

Its an absolute pleasure taking Millie for a walk off lead - well except when she finds a dead rabbit :eek::mad::eek:, but thats another thread for another day.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Haha, that was my best piece of advice too. :D

A very nice client of mine, told me the day before Millie was finally allowed out, to let her off the lead. Teach her recall straight away and teach her to keep an eye out for me too.

Its an absolute pleasure taking Millie for a walk off lead - well except when she finds a dead rabbit :eek::mad::eek:, but thats another thread for another day.
yes that best advice came from you!!! :p:D:twothumbs:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Adam posted recently about that too, so yesterday we took Izzy and Phoebe to North Berwick and let Izzy off the lead on the beach. It was away from the road, and she said hello to 2 Golden Retrievers whilst on her lead. Phoebe comes when I call her, so Izzy has a good example to follow, and she's never far from me yet anyway. She had a wonderful run, paddled, played, and came when I called her. So glad I did it :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
In one more week Pixie can go out for her first walk,and i so want to do this but im scared she wont come back! although in the garden she isnt far from me and comes when i call her.
Where would the best sort of place be for first walk? Beach,woods,fields? and is there anything i could be doing now at home to maximise recall?

Really excited by this advice:):):):) Cant wait for walkies!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In one more week Pixie can go out for her first walk,and i so want to do this but im scared she wont come back! although in the garden she isnt far from me and comes when i call her.
Where would the best sort of place be for first walk? Beach,woods,fields? and is there anything i could be doing now at home to maximise recall?

Lots of practice in the garden. Try to call her when she is distracted, a little way away and give lots of praise and tasty treats!

When out on the walk do a bit of training while on the lead to show her you've got really tasty treats (small pieces of cheese, cooked chicken or sausage works well) Pixie won't want to be too far from you anyway. Let her off and keep recalling her. Reward lots! (maybe one treat one time, then a handful scattered on the floor, then a really big piece of chicken etc so Pixie is excited to come back and see what she's going to get!) I also think its a good idea to put the lead on for a bit again and then take it off again so Pixie doesn't learn that coming back to you means the end of the walk and home time thus learning to avoid coming back to you to extend the walk time (if that makes sense).

I would try to find a large expanse of space (a field is good) without any roads nearby for your own peace of mind. It's Pixie's job to not lose you so you could also try hiding behind a tree and calling her back. Make her learn that she has to find you and know where you are. I hope this helps.

I used to find walks a bit stressful at first. Not worrying about whether Lolly would come back so much but more worrying about her jumping up at people and children especially. I soon learnt the best places to walk depending on time of day and now I love our walks :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts

One other thing, Janet covered this really well.

Because the cockapoo is so sociable, they do rather love to meet and greet all sizes of dogs. That can be a big nerve racking, so you need to quickly learn when your dog and more importantly other dogs are just being friendly, 99% of the time they are. If you are in any doubt about a dog, just ask the owner and say, 'is you dog ok with puppies'. It sort of breaks the ice and give the other owner chance to tell you the temperament of their dog.

Letting your dog roam off lead is a very rewarding experience. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Guys

What wonderfull advice, it's so good to have so much help and advice, Im so glad I joined this lovely website.

We get Barney tomorrow (OMG so excited!) and I was wondering should I put a training pad in his crate. I wasn't going to as I didn't want to encourage him to mess in his sleeping area, but I'm worried, as he's only eight weeks old, he may have trouble holding it in.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Julie x

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hide behind a tree

Definately letting her off the lead. Scarey but they are so happy and they WILL come back as they haven't the confidence to go off alone also a great training trick is to hide behind a tree, always keep your eye on them, then call them and let them find you. This always works if they won't come back when they are a bit older and find rabbits or birds far too interesting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh sorry P.S we didn't put the puppy pad in the crate we just made sure Pushca had a wee before bed time with a little stroll around the block or garden if pre jabs.
she only had a few accidents usually on my rug!!
Oh good luck with your new puppy how exc:)iting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh sorry P.S we didn't put the puppy pad in the crate we just made sure Pushca had a wee before bed time with a little stroll around the block or garden if pre jabs.
she only had a few accidents usually on my rug!!
Oh good luck with your new puppy how exc:)iting
Thanks, I will try without the pad from the start and see how we get on xx

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I used puppy pads, just easier than cleaning their bedding.

But then Millie was a bit slow on the toilet training, so I'm probably not a great example :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, maybe I'll try with a pad at first and take it away once it is dry. It's so hard to know the right thing to do. I guess it's just trial & error!

Thanks for all your help x

1 - 20 of 41 Posts