I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading all the puppy woes took me back to how much despair I felt when they just seemed like destruction waiting to happen. I realize I still spend a lot of time worrying about making sure they behave. Yet yesterday they proved me wrong, that I don't have to worry.

We were at a party last night and there were almost 50 people there. And nearly everyone commented on how good they were. They would come when called them. They stayed near me but would venture off in the yard on occasion. Lexi gave kisses and cuddles to everyone and Beemer gave kisses and cuddles to a very special select few. At one point Beemer sat in the midst of about twenty people walking around and chatting while he quietly chewed on his bully ring. They didn't eat the landscaping and, other than an occasional bark at a few weird folks, the only sound they made was whining when I went inside and they had to stay outside.

It's taken a lot of work from the three of us but Lexi and Beemer are the best. As it's usually just the three of us or with dogs and people we know, being around so many new people and dog owners who noticed how calm and sweet and well-behaved they were compared to their dogs opened my eyes a little more to how awesome they are.

Bath before the party (couch is their towel)

At the party (only half are in the picture)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I do believe that the time I invested early in learning about them, getting to be in tune with them, finding some good methods of teaching is more than worth it in the end. I've lost friends because I've put these two ahead of going out with them. But I've made so many more. Not an ounce of regret.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Lexi and Beemer are fabulous :)
(Beemer with the stick, Lexi sitting?)
I am also a firm believer of you get what you give, You gave your guys your time, your patience and your love as well as instruction and boundaries and they have learnt to love and respect your wishes. Great dogs and totally beautiful.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Love L&B but I can't tell them apart unless they are wearing girl / boy outfits :D
Lovely to see you Mo & all your lovely friends - looks like a great party x

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
How heartwarming! I tried to give you points but it said I had to spread it around a bit first so I must've done you already on another thread, ha!
But what a lovely realisation and great that you could take them with you :p

Reactions: Lexi&Beemer

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course we are not perfect. Just as I was thinking how I have had shoes out and they haven't eaten any I came home to find one of my Toms being transformed into a slipper. My fault for leaving it out. :(

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
They are a credit to you, you did work so hard with 2 to get it all right and it shows.
I was out with Dudley in a pub recently having a meal, he settles and lays down under the table now - eventually - he still pulls like mad to get in and would charge around saying a bouncy hello to everyone if I let him! but he had been laying under the table for a while then as we were getting up to leave someone came over to stroke him and said, 'isn't he well behaved - my dog wouldn't be that good!' words I didn't think I would ever hear (but always hoped one day..) - mind you, he promptly barked when she was walking away to try and demand she came back to fuss him again!

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Isn't it always the way that when we get too smug about how great they are they embarass us thoroughly.:D We were picnicing yesterday and Rufus was playing fetch with his ball. Several other dogs were leashed to their people and I was showing off how great his recall is, to reassure them I would not let him bother their dogs. When a group of teens arrived with two pit bull type breeds I decided to leash Rufus who then started barking at me trying to get me to play again. I could feel all the owners of the quiet, calm dogs rolling their eyes at me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Such great teachers of hubris. I think realizing that their behavior is directly the result of mine served as a turning point for me in a lot of ways. Rather than be upset at Lexi and Beemer, I evaluated what I had done to make it happen. What I could do differently going forward. And to see things as a progression. They only chewed one shoe and not all of the ones I left on the ground. It does help me in thinking they are perpetual toddlers. They will always need me AND they give you love without any sass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts