I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suffering hugely from puppy blues at the moment. I love my 5 month old Ruby so so much but she's such a handful at times. Toilet training goes well most of the time but then we have days like today where she's peed 3 times inside in the same spot despite having just been outside and me on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor each time. She also loves to toilet on the carpet upstairs 馃槱 so my partner has to work downstairs at the moment which is taking it's toll on him too. We have bells but she's just not getting it.

She sleeps downstairs at home but if we go away she won't have it any other way than being with us in the room, which can be challenging.

She won't walk in urban areas but is great in countryside, even though I carry her to the end of our street every morning and she pulls all the way back to the house. Her recall is just brilliant inside or in our garden, but the second she is distracted that's it, nothing. She doesn't do it on walks either which means we can't walk her off lead.

It's just relentless sometimes. When will she start to chill and become less reliant on us/ fully toilet trained?

I'm so tired 馃槱

Registered
Lots going on there, with toilet training make sure she is let out every hour and reward for anything outside. Inside clean with biological washing powder solution to make sure you are removing all traces of odour and never tell off for accidents. She is still young for telling you she needs to go out. They also forget when they go out sometimes so make sure you are watching to make sure she is not just getting distracted by exciting stuff like leaves!

Walking in urban areas she sounds scared and I don鈥檛 think what you are doing is going to help. If I am scared of spiders it does not matter how many times you carry me to the far end of the spider house and I run back out, each day is just reinforcing how scary it is. Instead of that if we hang around outside the place each day and play some games and have some treats I may be able to start to be happy going a little further and eventually I may realise it is not scary at all.

Recall out and about needs to be learned, so get a long training line (not flexi lead) and find her very best treats and toys then find a very boring empty field and start just calling her backwards and forwards between two people or if on your own start to walk then run backwards calling pup and reward really well with treats and/or toys

Registered
Hi there
How are you getting on with pup? We have 2 now (what were we thinking) the older is 8.5 nice and calm, apart from the barking at anything. The new one is now 16 months and is hyper, she chills in the evening but in the morning she can be up and raring to go 3am 4am 5am take your pick, put her downstairs and she squeaks and wimpers. Its not easy but im clinging to the fact it will get better... Take care

Registered
It does get better Sheffgal123. We have a two year old, and now she is wonderful and requires very little effort. Ours became much easier from 6 months onwards.

To address your points individually:
- Toilet training: you mention that it goes well most of the time, so the good news is that she鈥檚 almost there. Like all pups, she will have 鈥漚ccidents鈥 because she gets distracted. We used Simple Solution spray to neutralise the odour when ours peed, it鈥檚 quick and easy to use, and discourages them from peeing in the same spot. And when she does go outside, continue to give her lots of praise and treats. Might be a bit early for bells if she鈥檚 only just house trained. She needs to be fully in control of her bladder before she can ring the bell. Stick with a schedule, extending the time gradually

- Sleeping: was she crate trained? If so, then whilst you may not need to crate her at home any longer, it can help settle them when away from home

- Walking: How about urban parks? Can she cope with those? Or quieter streets? Try getting her used to those, giving her lots of treats and praise, and then gradually progress to more challenging areas

- Recall: What you describe is normal. Ours loves balls, and is reluctant to come back onto the lead if here is one around. Have you tried training with a long lead (really long, one of the 5 or 10m ones)? Try using that in the park, where there are more distractions than in your garden

It will get easier over the next few weeks, I promise. Ruby is at the age where things start to get better, and in your post there are signs that she is learning, but that leaning just needs to bed down so it becomes second nature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts