I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me advice on best places for insurance. George currently has 4 weeks free from petplan, but not sure who to go with after that, thanks

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm with VetMediCover. It costs £18 pm for the life time of the dog and guarantee covering for the life of the dog. I think this £18 may have gone up since I took it out, but not by much.

Haven't made a claim yet, which I guess is quite an important test. :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Yeh after looking at them after I think it was Julie recommended them ,I got Mable insured with them but when Id waited for Wilfs to be up for renewal it had gone upto £21 but still took it out. Looks good, and Wilfs had gone upto nearly this in nearly 4 years for less cover with More than x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we always took out cover from the day we picked them up so tecknicly they were insured twice so we didnt have to worry about the time laps in staring a new insurance, as a fried in sured her dov but their was a couple of days between the old one ending and the new one starting, the dog needed an op and she wasnt insured yet. same kinda thing happend witb someone els but this was changing to another company, i think ig was a 2week time laps before she was actualy covered and the dog laserated her pay ln glass, the had to remover part of the pad, then she burst her stitches.

i have only had to claime once with morethan but that was 3 years ago i would think they would still be same and pay thd vet direct.

however pet plan have been rwaly good for a friend whos dog waa born without part of his pelvis so it was enevitable he wohld need an operation(the owner is a vet nurse so knew what she was taking on) so whdn she called up she told them he will need and on not might need an opp, most companys will not cover an existing condition. but pet plan have been fab for her.

we are with More Than, have made one claim on Inca when she swalowed a dummy teat and couldnt pass it(this was exactly a week after being spayed) they were very easy just filled out a form at the vets and they delt with thm direct.

vet fees upto £7000
dethfrom injury £600
loss by theft or straying "
advertizing and reward "
kennel fees if owner needs hospital treatment"
pet holiday protection £1250
thrid party liabilaty cover for your dog up to £2 million

Gypsy is 5 years old £22.?? a month
Inca is almost 5 years old £15.99 a month(she is the only one we have claimed on for £478.66 about 3 years ago)
Echo is almost 3 years old £13.99 a month
Delta is 1 year old £12.?? a month

they all started off about £9 when we first go them but with Delta we descovered that mum had taken out the petsaver cover with her which was different to the others and wasnt life cover. so we canceled that and started a new one which bumped her up emedietly up to £12 something,

mum conciderd changing last year but she said when she looked into it, morthan still looked good

·
Registered
148 Posts
We are with More Than for Ellie and Sainsburys for Maisy. If you are a member of Quidco cashback go through their website first, I got £38 cashback for taking out my policy for Ellie and it was the cheapest and best one when I compared them all on moneysupermarket.com! Well worth a couple of minutes of your time joining if youre not a member :)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
We recommend Petplan - and as such all our puppies leave us with 4 weeks free insurance from them. We arrived at this choice purely by asking our vet who they preferred - as they were the ones dealing with insurance companies on a daily basis and they said that Petplan paid up without quibble.
Petplan are the single largest pet dedicated insurance company (that we have found) and have not jumped on the bandwagon like many advertising on TV.
Vetsmedicover looks too good to be true - and as such we know of people just watching to see how they develop for renewals.
At the end of the day - we would suggest you ask Your vet - as they are the people likely to have hands-on knowledge of who does what; when and how x

This is only a suggestion xxx

Stephen xx

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi we are going go with More Than had a quote for Milo & Alfie of £21 pm for the two and the policy is a mirror image of pet plans top policy the only difference is they pay you and not the vets so you have to pay out....for the same policy with pet plan it would have been just over £40. Each dog will cost us £10.52pm and we get a £40 M&S voucher with each policy:D:D You can go on the comparison web sites and get a good cross section but beware of super market policies as the are apparentley slow payers upto 3 months in some cases..

·
Registered
651 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors really.

Are you looking for annual? per condition? or life long?
Well I would always go Life Long as our last dog had a liver condition (£800 initial vets bill) and it lasted for three and half years. Our monthly outlay for medication and special diet that he needed was in the region of £100pm and guess what we never had insurance....costly mistake!:eek: However, we found that we could get his medication and food from the Manor Pharmacy at less than half the price we where paying the vets......the vets just gave us a prescription at £10 each month.....which ever policy you choose I recommend that you have some form of insurance because vets fee's are very high.:(

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Life-long is the best but the premiums will be higher.

Where you live can also play a factor- hence why people with same insurance companies are paying different amounts.

Sometimes your first year is good and then Wham! they push up the premiums the following year.

Who said dog ownership was easy eh :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks just looked at More than, and noticed excess is 70 plus 10% of total cost of vets bill, is that high

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi we are going go with More Than had a quote for Milo & Alfie of £21 pm for the two and the policy is a mirror image of pet plans top policy the only difference is they pay you and not the vets so you have to pay out....for the same policy with pet plan it would have been just over £40. Each dog will cost us £10.52pm and we get a £40 M&S voucher with each policy:D:D You can go on the comparison web sites and get a good cross section but beware of super market policies as the are apparentley slow payers upto 3 months in some cases..
Got a quote from then but no offer of M&S vouchers, did you do it through the website

·
Registered
651 Posts
thanks ****, will check my emails then
Hi Jayne
Here's the offer I got via e-mail...

Dear Mr Watson,

We wanted to send you a quick reminder about your Pet Insurance quote for Milo and to also let you know that for a limited time, we'll give you a £40 M&S Voucher as a special thank you when you buy your Pet Insurance from MORE TH>N.

To get this offer you must use one of the links in this email to get a quote and the cover start date must be on or before the 11th August 2011.

The price we quoted you was: £128.64

Our Pet Insurance can offer you the following benefits:

Up to £7,000 vet fees cover for each new accident or illness, for as long as your pet is insured with us
FREE access to vetfone - a 24 hour pet help line manned by qualified veterinary nurses
Cover on pets from 8 weeks old up to any age
Up to £600 towards a reward if your pet goes missing

1 - 20 of 46 Posts