I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How is it going with the little cutie Donna?
He actually came to us a couple of times with the lead on yesterday after we coaxed him (again) with treats, and pretending I was going to eat them 馃榿馃榿馃榿(the things you do) 馃槀馃槀. Just going to persevere and keep fingers crossed. Thanks so much though Lena

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We had a dog who completely froze if he had anything more than a collar and lead on him. Have you tried attaching a very light lead on him in the house and then garden and just letting it trail so he can get used to it being attached. Lots of rewards with high value treats, we find coked chicken to be a winner, but some dogs seem to be sensitive. We鈥檝e had a couple of rescue dogs that were anxious and we found a thunder vest or even just an equa fleece t shirt helped calm and give a bit more confidence, again getting used to wearing it in the house first. We have a Digby too 馃グ- he usually loves his walks but if it鈥檚 dark he does his business and then turns for home- not that I鈥檓 complaining馃榾.
Not many people (in the younger age bracket) remember the film Digby 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
He won鈥檛 even walk once the leads on him, just doesnt move a muscle till we take it off him 鈽光樄 desperate to take him out. He needs to get used to every day life, rather than his home and garden
Hi I've had the same problem with my cockapoo which I got at 5months old who had no collar and lead experience.
I've had him for two weeks now and has greatly improved by carrying him if he was scared when out but just let him experience the sights and sounds.
I would put him on the ground and he would just sit and not move so would throw lots of tasty treats in front of him and he would slowly move forward.
I found him walking alongside another well behaved dog help a great deal .
It was a slow process i let him take his time and gave lots of praise and throwing treats in front of him and rewards when walking.
If I wasn't having a good day with him I would just sit on a park bench and watch the world go by.
Two weeks later I've got a dog who enjoys going for a walk.
Good luck:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi I've had the same problem with my cockapoo which I got at 5months old who had no collar and lead experience.
I've had him for two weeks now and has greatly improved by carrying him if he was scared when out but just let him experience the sights and sounds.
I would put him on the ground and he would just sit and not move so would throw lots of tasty treats in front of him and he would slowly move forward.
I found him walking alongside another well behaved dog help a great deal .
It was a slow process i let him take his time and gave lots of praise and throwing treats in front of him and rewards when walking.
If I wasn't having a good day with him I would just sit on a park bench and watch the world go by.
Two weeks later I've got a dog who enjoys going for a walk.
Good luck:)
Awww that鈥檚 great!!! Yes we carry him, but once we put him on the ground he still won鈥檛 even take a treat off us or on the ground. Still persevering 鈽光樄馃榿馃榿

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.