I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9 week old Woody has been with us for a few days now! It's been a crazy couple of days with very little sleep for me. Mostly just stealing naps when Woody is down for a nap. :D

First time pup owner here, but Woody has made the training pretty easy on me.

He's already pee pad-trained, but I'd like to take him out to potty asap. He's had his first shot. I've been told to wait until he's had his first 3 shots before taking him outside to potty, and/or have any contact with other puppies.

When did you guys start taking your pups out to potty?

Attachments

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Start to take them out straight away if that's what you want your pup to do, we took our little one out whenever she woke up or after she ate etc & said the comman we wanted her to learn such as 'wee wee' or 'poo poo' once they start to do what you ask & you praise then they should start to associate the commands & be able to do them when told. Poppy is now 3 months & goes to the door & sits to wait to be let out, so the soon the better IMO. When they are little they learn things much quicker, I wouldn't want to let your pup get too used to the puppy pads before he learns to go outside. Good luck! :)

P.S. Woody is very cute :)

· Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi Peter and Woody!

Woody is gorgeous! Love the picture of him with his teddy! :)

I would agree with Laura we normally consider it safe to let puppies out into their own garden for the toilet but do not take them out for walks until all their vaccinations are done. How long will you have to wait if you follow the vets advice?

You say you are not getting much sleep? Are you crate training Woody?

· Registered
61 Posts
Hello Peter and Woody (how gorgeous are you?!)

Definitely agree with the advice given - we didn't use pads or paper at all in the house (apart from in his crate at night), just every hour when benji was first home we took him outside on lead and asked him to 'do his business' (I wish we had used a separate word for #1 and #2s though!). We also brough a spray which is meant to encourage them to pee in the same place. We took Benji out on his lead from the onset and walked straight to the same place each time and didn't talk to him (other than do your business) until he had :D, then he got a few treats. Sometimes, once he has done his business we would then let him off his lead for a play - but always toilets first.

We used a pad in his crate at night - but for the last week it has been dry and he's been sleeping throught for around 7 hours :cool:

Benji's bladder is growing now, thank goodness, so we don't have to take him out so often. He is starting to let us know by going to the door though and need to stop taking him out so often now and give him more of the responsibility of letting us know. We're out for walks now too.

Good luck with the training - definitely the sooner the better. The only advice I was given was to be careful in the garden if you get foxes :(

Kaz xx

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!

Sarah, yeah I've been crate training him. His crate is in a pen, and he would go in it himself when he sleeps at night or takes a nap (cutest thing). The pee pad is also in the pen, and he would go to the pad when he needs to wee or poo.

So for the last 2 nights, I've been leaving the crate door open, and he's been going to the pad by himself. I was pretty impressed, but I've been thinking if that's like the opposite of crate training? :eek: So I'm thinking I should close the crate door again to regulate when he goes potty.

Also, ever since he's been with us, I notice he licks at one of his paws and scratches behind his ear quite often. Could he have fleas even if he's "flea protected?" I did a little inspection and didn't see anything.

I've read that it could be him adjusting to a new environment?

· Registered
2,590 Posts
It could just be a dog thing the itching tbh, my two girls itch behind their ears all the time, although if it is just one paw & it is often then he may have something in it or something has iritated it, but i'm not sure, again it could just be a habit or something...

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could just be a dog thing the itching tbh, my two girls itch behind their ears all the time, although if it is just one paw & it is often then he may have something in it or something has iritated it, but i'm not sure, again it could just be a habit or something...
It does seem like his scratching and licking has subsided quite a bit. Replaced by lots of napping. :D

I think he's getting more comfortable and settled in now.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.