I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who work from home, how ever do you get anything done, lol? Dylansmum, I work from home too and you mentioned teaching him to leave you alone when you are busy. How do you do that? My last dog would sleep in his basket in my office after his walk (and make me take a break from the PC when he wanted the loo) but Brontie is so full on, that I can't get anything done unless she goes to sleep in her crate in the kitchen (which she is very happy to do). But I'd rather have her with me in the office!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
They will adapt to any routine (eventually :D). The key thing is that I always do an hour's walk off-lead after breakfast for him to let off steam, then once I sit down at my workbench Dylan will generally either play with his toys or lie near me - often on my feet! Some days he will drive me mad bringing toys to me constantly, but I just say "no, I'm busy" or ignore him each time until he gets the message. In fact the only problem I have is when I finish work or take a break and sit on the sofa. Then he definitely won't leave me alone. It's toy time. I usually take him out again for a short but manic walk with the ball launcher about 3.30. Some days, if he is in a restless mood then I'll give him a bone to keep him busy for a while.
Could you put Brontie's crate in the office while you work if she's happy in there? Otherwise, I'm sure she will learn the rules. Just be firm and get on with your work.
One thing that has surprised me a little though is how little Dylan sleeps during the day, even as a young pup. But we do have long nights, as we're in our bedroom all evening and have the tv in there, so he sleeps a lot in the evening as well as at night. Maybe that's why.
Anyway, I'm sure that if you make the rules clear then Brontie will cotton on. Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Helen. Brontie (now 4 months) is in quite a good routine, but as you say, they can be quite demanding just when there's work to do! I tried again yesterday but she chewed all my store of envelopes whilst I was on the phone lol! Bones definitely give me half an hour's respite but I save them for when I'm desperate. Can't imagine not having her around though so will persevere - she probably sleeps for 4-5 hours on and off during the day so I time stuff round that for now. Kate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts