I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl has a cough that won't go away. Poor thing has had a few bouts of it today, but it's worse when she tries to sleep - think I might be up a bit tonight :( Took her to the vets for 2nd jab today, but they won't do it until she is fully better (swollen glands and sore throat). Vet wants to see how she goes for a couple of days, but we might need antibiotics.

Breeder keep fully informed of what is going on and tells me not to worry as it is likely a reaction to the kennel cough vaccine she was given 10 days or so ago, but can't help but be concerned. Going to have to keep her apart from Poppy for a while to give her chance to rest (big sister just wants to play). Not really the start I wanted, but hopefully she will get better soon. Wasn't going to post about this, but needed some support as it has shaken my confidence in getting a second pup so soon.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
KC is not nice to witness, we got Delta(still surprized none of my girls caught it) when my aria was rife with it and the kennels i work at were struggling to get rid of it. (holiday boarding kennels)we kept calling people to give them time to cancel or make other arrangements but they just brought their dogs up anyway, the KC vacc is not guaranteed to protect against KC as their are several strains and it protects against one.

have you given her the benylin i think it was 3 times a day we gave it at the kennels (I'm often in grooming or the cattery so miss the feeds at the kennels)

we only got Gypsy and Inca the KC vacc once and Inca has never been right after it, she snorts dont know what triggers it she can go for months without doing it then al of a sudden start it. she got the KC vacc at about 2-3 years old and started the snorting after that.

i dont agree with the way it is administerd, thier has got to be a differnt way to do it.

kp us updated on how she is doing.

perhaps take her in with you when having a bath or a showr so sh is in a steemy room,

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kendal - she was in the bathroom with me tonight when I showered - also using Benylin and honey. Not much more I can do for her, but you're right it is distressing to watch. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Poor poor Daisy, it must be awful to have a new pup ill like that, I hope she gets better soon, poor you as well, such a worry xx

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hi Michelle, hope Daisy soon picks up. George's cough is getting better. He coughs in the morning when first up and about, but then can charge around the garden like a loon no problems. Have googled Kennel Cough vaccine and they can indeed get a cough after it. Did the vet give you anything for her? Was she in good health apart from that?
Hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Question about the benylin Kendal, is is ordinary chesty cough benylin or paediatric or is it dry cough. thanks

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Poor Daisy, did the vet give you any indication as to how long it could last ?
She's lucky to be with you and Im sure will be fit and well soon and then you can put it behind you and move on x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I didn't give Dylan the vaccine but he caught kennel cough but very mild - maybe 1 slight gag every day or so. Seems almost better not to have the vaccine. It took a few weeks to clear completely but didn't seem to bother him at all. I mainly noticed it if the lead pulled on his throat then he would cough. Hope daisy gets better soon x

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone - I was worried last night that she was going downhill, but today she has been racing round the garden like a nutcase with Poppy, so she must be feeling ok. Does seem to be when she settles down that she starts coughing, but hopefully it won't take too long to clear. Just need to get her jabs done in time to make the Leeds 'poofest'!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
So glad you'll still be able to make Leeds I was going to ask but thought it a little insensitive if Daisey was nt very well . Probably like any cough it always starts up when you lie down. Pleased to hear that in herself she sounds well, onwards and upwards then x

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
aw good news Michelle, George doesn't cough at all in the day now, was just first thing this morning when he comes out of crate:)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Michelle you have done the right thing getting two close together... give it a couple of weeks and you won't be able to imagine just having one.. Daisy sounds like she is on the mend already .... puppy's hey .... give both your flower girls a big hug from me xxx

2 dogs are so much more fun than one ... honest :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts